Friday, April 9, 2010

feathery skirt

feathery skirt
Yes, you're totally right, it is funny. Of course this skirt should have been posted on April Fool day!

I bought this feathery synthetic apparel fabric in January, thinking I could make a warm cropped jacket for the late winter. However, soon after it reached me I found the fabric that I purchased via internet seemed definitely not right for the colder weather. It didn't feel warm at all, despite its sultry looking. I gave up thinking a wintry jacket, and it has been sitting in my stash since then. I've never had a single day without thinking it, though (a bit of lie here).
fabric
The body of the fabric is see-through thin nylon organza, which you may not be able to check from the picture, and it has got three colors (pink, light gray, and ecru) of probably polyester threads all over for decoration. The threads are not covering the fabric densely at all, but they're rather poorly planted on the right side of the fabric, which gives it a light and feathery look.
And I have to say, I am utterly fond of this funky non-versatile hairy fabric, as you probably already sensed it. I like it because it's strange and also pretty at the same time. Maybe I think it's pretty because it's strange...I don't know... This is a bit unique, indeed.


***
BTW I'm always very grateful to you for being very patient and fantastically cooperative to read my queer writing in English. I'm especially devastated in putting prepositions and articles, because I barely sense the context in them. I suppose it's a cultural thing (background difference) involved, but it is very difficult to sense that I'm actually having the problem when I am writing in English.
I know I have something I'd love to tell most of the time. But I am also certain that's not enough. Need more language skills! For now, thankyou, thank-you and thank you very much for being very kind.
***
feathery skirt
I, of course, have noticed this skirt is not a perfect office wear.
Actually it's a nowhere wear!
I just wanted to entertain you with my favorite fabric in my way.
Hope you like it in some way.

I think you'd agree with me if I said I was going to make a Charlie bag from BurdaStyle using this fabric. Then I could experiment with the leftover to make an unusual emu-y mini skirt. I think I'm going to sew a Charlie with the leftover later, the order is the other way round though!

Have a great weekend!



=====
pattern: Laurent from anneecotton*.
(short skirt with 8 tucks at waist and slightest cocoon silhouette at hem)
waist band: silk shantung
lining: pink cupro
=====

26 comments:

  1. I have 2 daughters that would DIE for me to make something for them out of this fabric. And I don't mean a Halloween costume! Where did you buy it from? It is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt looks great on you!
    What an interesting use of an unusual fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an everywhere wear in my eyes, Yoshimi!
    I love how it looks so light and feathery, as if you're going to float in the air the next second!
    Just curious, was it easy to sew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your English is fine. Don't worry a minute about it. Your skirt is great party-wear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your feathery skirt, it seems so soft and touchable.

    And, I think your english is very enjoyable to read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great skirt. Lots of fun. And your English is very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you be kind enough to point us in the general direction of the store where it was purchased? I would love to sew something with this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! I love the color and the unusual texture. And I think your English is lovely! (This coming from a Professional English tutor!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your English is much better than my Japanese, and actually, your English is much better than many native English speakers!

    I love the skirt. I think you should wear it to a party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fun skirt - love the colors and how you've styled it.

    As far as your English, dear, it's really very good! I only speak English fluently and am always so impressed with anyone that can converse/read/write another language. Thank you for continuing to post in English so that I can read about all of your excellent sewing projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful! The colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would that I were 26 and not 62. I'd make one of these RIGHT NOW and I would wear it every chance I got.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is *so* COOL -- I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable skirt! Your English is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The skirt is nice, maybe making a bag or pouch with this fabric is a must, or make a matching spaggheti strap top with your skirt (I don't know what they call it) :) Your English is fine, it just that, just like me, we want to say something more in English, but we just couldn't find the right sentences and words, right? I'm totally understand you, Yoshimi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow the skirt should be really silly, but it really does look pretty when you wear it. Especially with those fabulous red shoes. Great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually, that skirt is adorable and looks so cute on you, especially paired with those sassy red shoes.

    FYI, your English is amazing and your personality shines through. Keep writing about your wonderful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is just soooo CUTE!!! Love it on you!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi ladies, thank you for the comments, your kind words made my day!! Really.
    >Novita, it was no problem with sewing this fabric at all. There are two things I have to tell you though! 1) Cutting this will make your room very messy! I hoovered and dry-mopped and hoovered and dry-mopped and ... while cutting. 2) Zippers don't like the fabric. I mean, it's easy to install zippers onto it, but we need to be a bit cautious during sliding up/down the zip. Otherwise those threads would be eaten by the teeth of zipper. I don't think children are enough patient for it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Yoshimi! I saw in one of your previous comments that you bought fabric in Osaka?
    My brother is living in Osaka at the moment (for 2 years) and i am trying to find places for him to buy me fabric and craft supplies! Can you suggest any shops that i should send him to? My e-mail is javiandjess@xtra.co.nz

    I think your English is very good! I can understand you easily.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your skirt! And I think your English is brilliant and you are VERY clever to blog in a second language like you do. I am way too dumb to understand even a few words of Japanese... I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never would have known you were not a native English speaker unless you said something. You have better grammar than many natives I know!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is so utterly cool on you. i swear you could make a paper sack fashionable.... not that this is paper sack material by any means! i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the skirt, especially with the red shoes. The skirt would be appropriate for party wear or for dinner in a nice restaurant. Do wear it out with confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your English is great. Better than most. I second what mdmaybe said.

    and as usual, you have created fashion magic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!!